On our Secret Food Tours: Ho Chi Minh City, you'll get to try the many different types of Vietnamese and Saigonese cuisine as you're introduced to an array of new flavors and foods.
- Before we start exploring the lively Ho Chi Minh City, we'll stop by a local food shop to taste hot steamed rolls called banh cuon nong.
- A few secret alleyways later, you'll have the chance to witness how locals use the sidewalk to sell second hand items like clothes, shoes, caps, and belts.
- Want to know how the locals eat when hanging out with friends? Let's try some seafood (steamed or grilled). This food is served in the second hand market, among people drinking, and toasting "MOT — HAI — BA — DZOOOO!".
- Next comes the Nguyen Thien Thuat residential area. This is where locals and American soldiers lived throughout the war between North and South Vietnam. You will understand the meaning behind the food, how to prepare and cook it, and enjoy it through interesting stories.
- Get the real feel of Ho Chi Minh City life when walking around Ho Thi Ky flower market. Thousands of colorful flowers are displayed in the streets for different purposes such as weddings, birthdays, and New Year. We will try some sugar cane juice while exploring this area.
- You'll get the chance to sit in an open-air noodle shop with dozens of locals around you. This next food, named hu tieu, is very popular with locals and is eaten at any point during the day. A cup of tra da is the perfect companion whilst eating this food.
- Next we'll have stewed beef soup with bread, known as bo kho, in a small, family-owned shop.
- Afterwards, you'll have the chance to grill your own rice paper with various flavours, in front of Saigon University. Also here you'll try a special dessert: mixed seasonal fruits with crushed ice, condensed milk, and syrup.
- Oh, and of course there's our delicious Secret Dish too!
If you choose our upgraded drinks package:
- A special local 333 beer
- A fresh coconut water
Please note: the itinerary is subject to change, based on the locations availability and weather.
WHY NGUYEN THIEN THUAT AND HO THI KY AREA?
Saigon is the former name of Ho Chi Minh City, before it changed in 1975. Ho Chi Minh City has always been open to immigrants of many different cultures, customs, and cuisines. It's considered a city that never sleeps; when night falls, people begin to mingle, eating out because they enjoy socializing and making new friends. Here, eating out is a way of life.
Nguyen Thien Thuat is busy nightly with coffee shops, pubs, barber's shops, and hidden backstreets bustling with locals embracing the energy of the city. Ho Thi Ky area, in District 10, has a lively flower market, a traditional Cambodian market, and tiny houses. The area is brimming with food stalls and vendors, and people from surrounding areas often come to this area because of the delicious food and buzzing atmosphere.
How to book a tour with us
A few customers have experienced their cards being declined, if this happens don't worry - just contact your bank or email us with the city, date and time of the tour, and how many adult/children tickets at [email protected] and we can send you another payment link.
*Please note if you are using a special promo code then enter it in the "Voucher Code" section before you select the amount of tickets you would like to purchase*
It is easy! You can book tickets online here. Our tours begin at 17:00 P.M. and we will send you the meeting place details the day before the tour. Our culinary tours lasts 3 to 3 ½ hours and they involve a fair amount of walking, so be sure to bring comfortable footwear. Due to the nature of creating a well balanced and thoughtful gastronomy experience, many of our tours are unable to accommodate certain dietary restrictions. Please contact us prior to booking your tour to see if we are able to accommodate your dietary needs. And don't forget to bring a camera! You will want to remember these great places for when you come back to Ho Chi Minh City.