On our Secret Food Tours: Florence, you'll get to taste the variety of typical Florentine and Tuscan foods and flavors, creating an authentic Italian experience.
- Before you start exploring the mysterious medieval Florence, we'll stop by one of the most beautiful cafès in the city to learn how local Florentines do breakfast.
- We'll then visit one of the oldest bakeries in the city (1849), and try a traditional schiacciata.
- Next, you'll meet the owner of an old local wine shop while he explains all the varieties of Tuscan wine, as we taste his perfumed olive oil.
- Before entering a medieval church, you'll learn the origins of lampredotto, the most Florentine street food ever, paired a glass of good Chianti wine.
- Some tiny streets later, you'll have the chance to taste and see the diversity of gastronomy in the local Sant'Ambrogio Market, where residents have been shopping since 1873.
- Immersed in a truly local atmosphere, we'll try a selection of tasty Tuscan cheeses and salami, as well as prosciutto, the famous Tuscan ham, cut by hand in front of you, while you sip a quality Tuscan wine.
- You'll become familiar with the flavors of the world-renowned Chianti wine region by tasting its most famous stewed meat dish, along with a local vegetable soup called ribollita, in one of the most emblematic restaurants in Florence.
- We'll enjoy a fresh gelato and taste a pure cacao seed, as you learn about chocolate and meet the family who's run the business for generations.
- Finally, as we have a look at the medieval district and its 13th century house tower, we'll finish this great adventure through the city near the most important and oldest monument in the town.
- Oh, and of course there's our delicious Secret Dish too!
If you choose our upgraded drinks package:
- An extra glass of Chianti served with the lampredotto
- An extra full glass of top-quality Tuscan red wine (Morellino di Scansano, Chianti Riserva DOCG)
- Vin Santo with cantuccini (dessert wine served with Italian cookies)
Please note: the itinerary is subject to change, based on the locations availability and weather.
WHY SANTA CROCE AND SANT'AMBROGIO?
hese two districts are the only ones where you can still find the real Florentine people. Away from the museums and crowds, you'll find a moment to relax, experience a still thriving atmosphere, and meet local people in their shops.
Santa Croce Basilica is one of the most important monuments for the history of both Florence and Italy. Also known as "the Temple of the Italian Glories", it's a must-see, and the perfect meeting point from where we start our great food tour. Walking through the streets, you'll understand how important this district has always been, from its time as the leather district, which has made a fortune for many Florentine families since 12th century, to becoming the symbol of Italy as a unified country.
After this, we continue into Sant'Ambrogio Market, which is the city's food market, full of locals buying and talking in their own colourful way. You'll try some of the freshest foods Florence has to offer, and meet the proud locals who love their city and their culture. Eat and drink as the Florentines do.
How to book a tour with us
A few customers have experienced their cards being declined, if this happens don't worry - just contact your bank or email us with the city, date and time of the tour, and how many adult/children tickets at [email protected] and we can send you another payment link.
*Please note if you are using a special promo code then enter it in the "Voucher Code" section before you select the amount of tickets you would like to purchase*
It is easy! You can book tickets online here. We begin our tours at 10:00 a.m. and we recommend refraining from eating breakfast beforehand. We will send you the meeting place details before the day of the tour. Our culinary tour lasts for 3 to 3 ½ hours, and each one involves some walking, so be sure to bring comfortable footwear. Due to the nature of creating a well balanced and thoughtful gastronomy experience, many of our tours are unable to accommodate certain dietary restrictions. Please contact us prior to booking your tour to see if we are able to accommodate your dietary needs.